Video: John Petrucci Studio Rig Tour 2013

by Boogie on April 5, 2013

in Mesa Boogie Artists, Mesa Boogie Guitar Products, Mesa Boogie Products, Mesa Tones & Tips, Tours, Video

John Petrucci with "Boogie Mountain" in the studio for the new Dream Theater album for 2013

John Petrucci with “Boogie Mountain” in the studio for the new Dream Theater album for 2013 (click to enlarge)

Dream Theater’s John Petrucci sent us a rig tour of the Mesa amps he’s using in the studio for their new album. A wide assortment of vintage Boogie Mark III, Mark IV and a few prized Mark IIC+ heads from his collection make up the early Boogie usage. Current amps like the Royal Atlantic RA-100, Triaxis/2:90 and the mainstay of John’s studio and live rig, the Mark V round out the modes, tones, channels and sounds in use on their upcoming 2013 album in progress.

John walks us through “Boogie Mountain” in the studio and provides a few details on what amps are used for what sounds where as well as some insights into the Dream Theater studio process for guitar sounds overall. Amazing stuff for any Dream Theater/ John Petrucci enthusiast. Enjoy!

We can’t wait to hear it!

PinterestShare

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Eduardo April 9, 2013 at 11:20 am

Inspiring!

andrew paul packiam April 7, 2013 at 2:44 am

cant wait to hear the demos , i cannot even imagine how its gonna sound,when it was new it was good and now that petrucci has used it for over a year and a half , i think it will even sound better, by now all the fine tuning must have been done, great to hear yall play DT when will yall come to india,trust me if you come to india ,you will create a storm ,please come to india, lots of people waiting, millions waiting to hear GOOD MUSIC

pablo April 6, 2013 at 4:42 pm

From chile. I’ve seen them in August 2012 here in Santiago.
As we say in chile, excellent equipment, brother
I’d like to have those biceps, we hope them again here, bye

Wn April 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Que onda po wn!!!!

la caaaagoo buenasaaa

Val Khal April 6, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Great vid, thanks Mesa & JP! It’s great to see, that John is using TriAxis again! I have one, and it’s a killer, true historical unit.

andrew April 6, 2013 at 8:27 am

the brilliant thing about the amp(mark 5) is that its so versatile, and petrucci’s other equipments (delays ,phasers,flangers and rotary) all complement it,the purity of the mark 5 in terms of sound clarity is unmatched ,i wish i could afford 1 lol, but i love it when a musician takes all those colours and draws a beautiful picture

Steve Richards April 6, 2013 at 7:50 am

Mah.. I have a ucalaly going through a shoe box… beat that Mr P :-o

Maddmeko April 6, 2013 at 7:12 am

For a long time I have used Marshall amps but now knowing what John uses I have to check out Mesa .

Canadian Guitarzan April 6, 2013 at 7:09 am

Huge hello from London Ontario Canada
I love hearing about your arsenal of amps JP …
as a guitar player and loyal Mesa Boogie owner for over 25 years it’s nice to see what I COULD have … lol
Eagerly anticipating the new album – we all know it’s going to be great

James April 6, 2013 at 6:56 am

C’mon, John.
Just one, just give me one.
The mark IV?
You don’t use it anymore.
Please?

Bryan Hughey April 6, 2013 at 6:44 am

This is a custom rack made by, uh, Mr. Rackman, and these guitars were hand-wired by Tony Blair. Yeah, I didn’t even have to ask twice, he just hand-wired them straight away.

Roy April 7, 2013 at 1:05 am

Love those videos! I came across a little clip one time of John (Petrucci of course) and Mike (Portnoy) actually talking about them, and he did a little imitation. Was pretty funny.

Jay Prevost April 6, 2013 at 6:39 am

That is a remarkable set of Mesas indeed. It’s so surreal to see artists like John Petrucci and Mark Tremonti reach out to share their love of music with the fans in such a humble yet professional way. Their inspiration drives my desire to play to a completely different level. I’m sure I speak for all DT fans when I say “Can’t wait man.” Thank you for sharing.

Bar April 6, 2013 at 1:42 am

“Fatal Tragedy” on mesa boogie:

Mr. Ibanez April 5, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I don’t pray god, I pray John Petrucci

Carlo April 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Is always very interesting and nice to see how a great musician like John Petrucci works. And there is always a beautiful sound with mesa boogie amp in the studio.

Ricardo Bianco April 5, 2013 at 6:55 pm

TKS JOHN!! Huge hug from Brasil!!

joel April 5, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Yay! First comment!

jerry mills April 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm

i met and saw dream theater last summer,and got to hear the mark v live,,incredible tone,truly monster!! john had nothing but good things to say about it and he was right..well done mesa!!!